Language learning is not that easy. But if you are planning a trip to Thailand, then you need to know basic Thai to communicate with others. In this article, you will find all essentials Thai phrases for travelers.
Pronunciation guide: You can copy these phrases then go to Google Translate. Past on Google Translate and find the translation then, you can listen to it by clicking on the “listen” icon. I showed this step in this article: Easily learn the basic phrases with the pronunciation of your favorite destination. Take 2 minutes to learn this.
Most used Thai phrases for travelers
Here are some Thai phrases that you must need to memorize before going to Thailand. Every day you need to use these phrases during your Thailand trip.
- Hello (S̄wạs̄dī) = Swadii
- Ok (Tklng) = Toklongn
- I (male) (P̄hm) = Phomm
- I/Me (female) (C̄hạn) = Chan
- yes (Chı̀) = Chaai
- no (Mị̀) = Maai
- Thank You (K̄hxbkhuṇ) = Khop Khun
- Please (Pord) = Prood
- I am from___ (C̄hạn mā cāk) = Chan ma chaak_____ (America)
- Can you speak English? (Khuṇ phūd p̣hās̄ʹā xạngkvs̄ʹ dị̂ h̄ịm?) = Kun pood paasaa anggrit dai mai
- My name is Smith (C̄hạn chụ̄̀x__) = Chan chuu___
- sorry (K̄hxthos̄ʹ) = Khot hort
- I have to go (C̄hạn t̂xng pị læ̂w) = Chan tang pai lauu
- Can you speak slowly? (Khuṇ phūd cĥā«dị̂ h̄ịm) = Koon poot cha-cha dai mai
- I can’t speak Thai (C̄hạn phūd thịy mị̀ dị̂) = Chan pudh Thai mi daii
- I don’t understand (Mị̀ k̄hêācı) = Mai khau jai
Basic Thai Phrases for questions
Sometimes you need to ask locals to know about places or, something else then you will need to use those words.
- Where? (Thī̀h̄ịn) = Tii nai?
- What? (Xarị?) = Arai?
- When? (Meụ̄̀x h̄ịr̀?) = Mua rai?
- How? (Yạng ngị?) = Yangngai?
- Why? (Thảmị?) = Tum mai?
- How much? (Thèārị?) = Thouraii?
- Where is … = Yoo tii nai ….. [Example: Where is Bathroom? = (Yoo tii nai Hongnaam?)]
Most used Words
- Resort (Rīs̄xr̒th) = Resorth
- Bus (Rs̄ bạs̄) = roth bus
- Train (Rt̄hfị) = roth fii
- Restaurant (R̂ān xāh̄ār) = Raan aahaan
- Bathroom/Toilet (H̄̂xngn̂ả) = Hongnaam
- Water (N̂ả) = Naam
- Hospital (Rong phyābāl) = Rong phiyaban
- Fine (Dī) = Sabai dii or dii
- Station (S̄t̄hānī) = Sataanii
- Boat (Reụ̄x) = Rouaa
- Home (B̂ān) = Baan
- Sugar (N̂ảtāl) = Namtaan
Most used pronouns
- You (Khuṇ) = Kunn
- He (K̄heā) = Khauu
- She (Nāng) = Naang
- They (Phwk k̄heā) = Phowk Kao
- OR: He, they, them, her, she – Khauu
- We (Reā) = Rau
- Female/Male (junior) = Nong
- Female/Male (senior) = Pee
Emergency Thai Phrases
Please memorize those phrases to use during emergencies. If you stay in an area where you may not find anyone who knows English, you may face trouble. At this critical time, these phrases will help you to communicate with others.
- Where is the police station? (S̄t̄hānī tảrwc xyū̀ thī̀h̄ịn?) = Sataanii tamruan yoo tii nai
- Where is the hospital? (Rong phyābāl xyū̀ thī̀h̄ịn?) = Rong phiyaban yoo tii nai
- I’m lost (C̄hạn h̄lng thāng) = Chan long tahng
- Can you help me? (Khuṇ s̄āmārt̄h ch̀wy c̄hạn dị̂ h̄ịm?) = Khun chamarth chuy chan dai maii
- I’m in trouble (C̄hạn kảlạng mī pạỵh̄ā) = Chan kanglang mi pyanghaa
Other Thai phrases
You can also memorize those phrases.
- I can eat spicy (Kin p̄hĕd dị̂) = Khin pet daii
- I can’t eat spicy (Kin p̄hĕd mị̀ dị̂) = Khin pet midaii
- Menu please (Menū pord) Menu prod
- I like it (C̄hạn chxb mạn) = Chan chawp mann
- I don’t like it (Mị̀ chxb ley) = Mi chawp loii
- That’s expensive (Mạn phæng) = Man phang
- Can you lower the price? (Ld rākhā dị̂ h̄ịm khrạb) = Lod rakha dai mai khrab